Saturday, September 25

The (First) Saturday Review

As I've stated, every Friday I'm going to right a tour-de-force essay, mostly on political issues or any suggestions that are made on the suggestion page (that's right, there's a suggestion page, but it's kind of hard to find). As a result, I've decided that it would be a good idea to do something a little more low-key on Saturday. From now on, every Saturday I will review something (book, movie, etc). Probably mostly political or related issues, but I'm not going to limit it just yet.
With that said, here is the first review.

1984 by George Orwell
Okay, I know I'm probably preaching to the choir, but if you haven't read this book before you definitely need to. It is the story of a man living in a totalitarian society where children accuse their own parents of being spies. It is a story of oppression, rebellion, and suppression. This is one of those books that earns the title of "timeless." No matter who you are, what country you live in, or what language you speak, this book applies to you. My favorite quote is "Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past." The haunting part about this quote is that it's so completely true. I have read this book at least 5 times now, it may be more, I'm actually not quite sure. But whatever the number is, I love 1984 more than any other novel I've ever read. If you've read it, I'm sure you agree with me, if you haven't, I urge you to go to Amazon and order it. This book gets my full endorsement and approval.

No comments:

Post a Comment